- This event has passed.
7th Annual Inishbofin Island Walking Festival
April 27 @ 9:00 pm - April 29 @ 5:00 pm
The 7th Annual Inishbofin Island Walking Festival will take place from Friday April 27th to Sunday April 29th. Enjoy a weekend of walking amid stunning Atlantic coast scenery, crystal clear waters, green coast award winning beaches surrounded by rich natural, built and cultural heritage, all in the company of expert guides.
Online ticket sales now open! Get yours at: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/inishbofin-walking-festival-2018-tickets-42885457558
Friday April 27th
9.00pm Registration. Participants can register for the walking weekend and pick up walking passes. Archaeologist and historian Tommy Burke will present a short lecture about Inishbofin. Tea, coffee and refreshments will be available.
Saturday April 28th
6.30am Tommy Burke will lead a dawn walk to Saint Colman’s monastery and Rusheen
8.30am A light breakfast will be served in the Beach Bar (this is included in weekend walking pass).
10.00am Tommy Burke will lead a walk to Cromwell’s fort followed by a ramble east through the townland of Knock & the ruined 18th c. village at The Poirtíns.
3.00pm Join with Anthony McGeehan renowned Ornithologist on a mystery walk.
7.30pm Tommy Burke will lead a dusk walk around the West Quarter loop (please bring a torch for this walk).
Sunday April 29th
6.30am Dawn Chorus Walk with Anthony McGeehan.
TIME TBC A day trip to neighbouring Inishark Island which was evacuated in 1960 (there is a supplementary fee to cover fast ferry to Inishark. Trip is subject to weather conditions).
- A weekend pass for the Festival will cost €40 (supplement for trip to Inishark to cover additional transport by ferry).
- We are of course dependent on the weather for the trip to Inishark!
- Please be aware of weather forecast before travelling and pack accordingly….rain gear, walking poles, hiking boots, sunscreen, hats, sunglasses etc.
- For any budding musicians there will be an open traditional music session on Saturday evening, all welcome to join in!
- For a full list of accommodation available on Inishbofin, please see http://www.inishbofin.com/category/accommodation/ Book early to avoid disappointment!
- Citylink provide the direct bus connection from Galway city to Cleggan, from where the Inishbofin ferry departs. As part of our commitment to reducing the carbon footprint of our Walking Festival, we would strongly encourage all Festival attendees to leave the car at home and travel with Citylink. Citylink can deliver you to the Inishbofin ferry from Dublin Airport, Dublin City, Cork, Limerick, Athlone and throughout Connemara. See citylink.ie for bookings and timetables.
- Our Walking Festival aims to promote principles of Leave No Trace and all Festival-goers will be familiarised with these over the weekend. Leave No Trace is an ‘Outdoor Ethics Education Programme designed to promote and inspire responsible outdoor recreation’. Inishbofin is in the process of becoming Ireland’s first Leave No Trace Island partner and we hope that all visitors will be aware of how to practise the Leave No Trace ethics while on the island.
- For any further queries please contact the Inishbofin Tourism Office on 095 45895
- Find us on social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter